Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Baked Sweet Potato with Broccoli and Cashew Ceese Sauce (vegan, healthier twist on classic baked potato)

A classic favorite with a nutritious (and vegan) spin.

Fall is always rich with color - the changing leaves, the Autumn sunsets, and the seemingly endless supply of squash and sweet potatoes.

Seriously, what's a prettier orange than the inside of a steamed sweet potato? If there is, I haven't seen it. This kind of vibrancy demonstrates a range of nutrients.


I wrote a haiku in demonstration:
 
Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes orange
Broccoli green (vegan) cheese covered
I like comfort food.
 
...so it's not perfect but I never claimed to be a poet.

One evening (more like every evening) I needed something that was less than 30 minutes to make. Quick. Nutritious. Effortless.

... so I microwaved my sweet potatoes. *gasp* call out the nutrional police!
But it did only take 16ish minutes to make this. I'd much rather have this quick food than fast food.
 
Baked Sweet Potato with Steamed Broccoli and Cheese Sauce
 
Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli
Cashew Cheese Sauce, recipe below
 
Bake the sweet potatoes at 400 for an hour or until cooked. Alternatively, you can also use your slow cooker or microwave to cook the sweet potatoes.
Steam the broccoli.
Meanwhile, make cheese sauce.

Cashew Cheese Sauce
1/2 cup cashews
2 cups broth
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 TB amino acids (sub coconut aminos and punch of salt for paleo version)
2 large carrots
1 TB chia seeds
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of nutmeg, optional
 
1. Heat the broth over the stove.
2. Blend all ingredients in blender.
3. Pour over baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli.
 
 
Do you like my plate? We went to a local pottery painting place! It was very fun and I love getting to eat off something we helped create!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm! Sweet potatoes are my favorite. This looks fabulous! I have made cashew butter but never heard of cashew cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...