Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Roasted Delicata Squash and Cranberries


My four year old calls these squash fries because she thinks they are fries, and in result, she ate a whole plateful and asked for seconds. Works for me!

I'm loving making lots of plant-based recipes this season which is rich in winter squash. This recipe showcases roasted cranberries which I just love! The red little jewels just pop in your mouth. And the mustard sauce (using less mustard) from my spaghetti squash recipe makes an easy coating for these "fries."




My stash of winter squash (from friend's gardens and Azure) has been a boon! I've been cutting back on complicated recipes due to our second addition this fall. Here he is pictured below - sleeping while I cook. I love wearing him! My Moby Wrap has just been amazing! So I have been spending less time in the kitchen and devoting more time to my children so hence the easier (and less - sorry about that) recipes that have been starring on the blog.



My four year old Big Blue Eyes took this photograph (along with several odd juxtapositions of our television). She's just great!

The great thing about delicata squash is there is no need to peel! The squash skin softens while cooking and can be eaten. However I do stress buying organic since you are eating the skin.

And just another thought... This dish cost less than $5 to make if you already have mustard, oil, and herbs. Organic squash usually goes on sale for $0.99 a lb and a bag of cranberries varies between $1.50 to $2.50. Who says you can't eating healthy has to be exorbitant? Just tell them to eat squash!

Roasted Delicata Squash and Cranberries
2 TB favorite Dijon mustard
4 TB safflower oil (or any high heat oil)
1/2 tsp each of crushed and dried Sage, Oregano and Thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups fresh cranberries
2 Delicata Squash

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash squash and cranberries. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Then make 1/2" -3/4 " slices (they look like crescent moons!). Layer on a baking pan.
3. Mix together remaining ingredients in a jar (shake or whisk with fork) and then pour over squash slices and cranberries. Toss.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until squash is cooked through (will still hold shape though) and cranberries are roasted!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...