Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Baked Oatmeal (Dairy free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Nut Free - vegan)

We've been making baked oatmeal for several years. It was inexpensive, easy and a great way to start the morning.

And a quick word to Trina from Beginner Beans before I move on - Thank you for the interview! I enjoyed myself and am so thrilled to be a part of your blog today! Read the interview HERE.

Originally it started with cinnamon, apples, and lots of cream... now it's vegan-ized and depends on the produce available.

Baked Oatmeal holds a lot of memories. We first indulged in our favorite variety in Oklahoma (mentioned above); our brown L-shaped couch swallowing us as we cuddled and watched TV or Paul studied for his next exam. The next memory comes at another great time in my life - My sister made a lovely version with rice milk found at Veggie Meal Makers for me just after Big Blue Eyes was born. Everything else seemed to bother her tummy (we had not yet found out about casein causing her colic-yness) but this didn't. I was overwhelmed and, I'll admit, depressed (postpartum depression is a real thing, ladies and herbs can help!). It felt like I couldn't do anything but hold my precious baby who was so pained at the time and cooking was the last thing I had on mind, especially in the morning when I was starving. When Alli brought a large pan of baked oatmeal, it saved me for a week. And then in five minutes, I threw the next week's batch together. Oats can also help increase breast milk supply which can be helpful those first couple weeks. This is a great recipe with gentle ingredients to make for new mothers. I know it's what I will be turning to next time someone is in need of a dish.

I slowly forgot about baked oatmeal and what a relief it can be to your schedule and your wallet.

However good things always make their way back around! We stayed at my mother's house this summer and she whipped us up a batch using coconut milk and her farm-fresh eggs. She modeled it after a recipe in Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson.

Heidi Swanson blogs over at 101cookbooks and has three books published. She is a renovator in the kitchen and all of her recipes (although not all gluten or dairy free) and photographs have such love put into them that I can't help but daydream about making each and everyone.

This is my version of baked oatmeal inspired by mother, my sister, and Heidi Swanson's recipe. I love that Heidi put slices of banana underneath the berries which creates this wonderful sort of caramel banana flavor.

Change up the flavors if you like and use different berries or use cut apples or pears for the fruit with double the cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. I made this for Independence Day and baked blueberries on bottom with raspberries on top - red, white, and blue looked great and would be fun for kids! You can also add chopped nuts or shredded coconut if you like.

Of course, I used whole chia seeds. But you can feel free to use ground chia or ground flaxseeds to substitute.
Baked Oatmeal with Bananas and Blueberries
2 c oats (gluten-free certified if sensitive)
2 T whole chia seeds (ground flaxseeds also work here)
1 t baking powder (I have to admit I frequently forget this)
1/2 t sea salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 can coconut milk (I've used both light or heavy with success - 400 ml)
1 T vanilla extract
1/3 c maple syrup or 2 T agave nectar or 2 t stevia extract (make your own)
1 1/2 t coconut oil for greasing

1 banana
1 1/2 c berries

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease 8x8 ovenproof dish with 1 1/2 t coconut oil
3. In a bowl, mix oats, chia seeds, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add sweetener of choice and vanilla extract while stirring.
4. Slice a banana to cover bottom of dish in layer. Top with one cup of berries and then oatmeal mixture. Pour coconut milk over the top of the oat mixture. (Heidi suggests giving the dish a couple of good thwacks against the counter). Top with remainder of berries.
5. Bake 40 minutes. Let cool 10 before serving. Refridgerate remainder to be eaten cold or reheated the next day. Serve with banana ice cream if you like!

The longer you let this cool, the more it will stick together so don't disheartened if in your eagerness you grab a slab right out of the oven and it falls apart. Mine did too! It still tasted delicious though!

IF you are looking for gluten-free oats, Amazon has a great price on Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Whole Grain, Rolled Oats, 32-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4). Vitacost also has them (here's a $10 gift coupon).

Shared this recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesday.

A few pictures from the weekend at my Mother's House. Also if you missed it, there's an interview over at Beginner Beans HERE.














9 comments:

  1. We've always done an apple version, but this looks amazingly delicious with blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my heavens. gorgeous photography! i adore your blog. you're clearly so talented!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're sweet! I will have to go check out yours now. :D

      Delete
  3. Have ever used steel cut oats in this recipe? I was wondering if you needed to pre-soak them. Your photos look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I have not used steel cut oats in baked oatmeal before. I would suggest soaking for sure. Let me know how it turns out for you!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I just found your recipe by doing a search for egg free baked oatmeal, and was so thrilled! I just made it using a chopped apple, apple pie seasoning, a blend of stevia, maple syrup and molasses for sweetening, and some craisins soaked and sprinkled on top. I also had to substitute almond milk for coconut as I discovered I had none. It was so delicious! I loved the texture, it was just like eating an oatmeal cookie and the flavor with the fruit I had on hand made it taste like an apple pie. Mmm I will be making it again! I am dairy free and egg free, and for the most part gluten free, and my toddler is gluten free, so this was a tasty treat. Thank you for posting it!

    I am so excited to find your blog, I am following you on FB and following your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassandra!
      I am so glad you and your toddler enjoyed this! I love hearing from new readers - so glad you've found Sweet Roots!
      I hope you find many other recipes here that you enjoy.
      Toodles,
      Mary

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the recipe! I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious! My whole family really enjoyed it. I am going to try it with peaches today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was soooo yummy. I used about half of the maple syrup and it was still great. I loved the gentle sweetness of the blueberries with the banana, not an overpowering sweet. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...