Monday, July 2, 2012

Rethana's Surrender and Supporting Creative Artists

It's important to me to support creative artists, especially being one myself. Normally, I wouldn't post a novel review here (this being a herbal blog and all); However, I wanted to share this wonderful book I read this weekend and the author behind the series.

Besides writing novels, Courtney Cantrell also writes at her blog Court Can Write, where she's brightening her corner of the world. You can read more about her passion for storytelling there.

I met Courtney back in Oklahoma at a yoga class. I could tell she was a strong individual, the person who could bring a storm (or write one) but could also (and did always) brighten up the room with her smile. I wished I got to know her a little better before we moved but I'm glad we still made a connection.

When I heard Courtney was writing a fantasy novel (a favorite genre), I knew I wanted to get my hands on a copy. And I'm so glad that I did! The novel exceeded my expectations and thrilled me. I devoured it in two days (I had to force myself to go to bed the first night).

And so I introduce you to Rethana's Surrender...

Here is a little background story over at Courtney's blog and I've pasted my review from amazon below.  This book is only available as an ebook. If you don't have an ereader, don't worry. You can download the kindle app to your computer and read it there!
"Mrs. Cantrell has built a wonderful, detailed world showcasing strongly written characters with believable powers and honest shortcomings.

My struggle with fantasy books is it seems the power comes too easily and is just handed to the protaganist, but I can't say that for this book. The addition of Chel really made Rethana's character all the more convincing. There were battles on personal levels (and not just that of romance) and battles on more "Save-the-world" levels, which I'm sure will be explored more in later books.

I loved, loved, loved Rethana. You could feel the struggle with the men in her lives. Her hunger for knowledge of the comori. Her desire to protect her sister. At times I wanted to shake her awake (I won't tell you why). But most other times I was cheering her on.

I do have to say, at first, I thought I might have to talk notes on all the different names. The names were complex (and lengthy) but each character seemed to fall in place and I found myself easily remembering who each one was.

Also I wished Allasin had pursued her a little more. And that's all I will say so I don't spoil it. But I don't feel it was detrimental to the story, just a small underlying wish for myself.

I'm recommending this book to anyone I know! Thank you Courtney for such a wonderful new literary world to transverse. And please, please publish that second book soon! "

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did! And when you do, give a little love and support to all the creative artists out there and link to it on your blog.

Courtney has published another series Demons of Saltmarch also available on Amazon:
Colors of Deception

Shadows after Midnight: Demons of Saltmarch

Stains of Grace (Demons of Saltmarch, #3)

Question of the Day:
What's on your reading list for the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...