Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Raw Living Omega Parfaits

{Pin this}
So how does one make a raw living parfait?

Sprouts!

Sprouts in a dessert?

Yes, sir!

I first had this idea while reading this ebook on my kindle, 30 Moan Inducing Raw Vegan Breakfast Recipes (Moan Inducing Raw Vegan Recipes) . All of Heather Corbett's recipes are indeed moan-inducing! Alive Fig Bars? Yes! Raw buckwheat crepes? Yum!

She has a great recipe for a living yogurt parfait that is banana and avocado layered with mung beans, pepitas, and pomegranate seeds. So delicious!

For my recipe, I incorporated (blended) the sprouted mung beans into the "yogurt." I also doubled the avocado. Then I made my own recipe for chocolate chia pudding and layered them together. This is really delicious! And such a great way to start the day or end it (dessert for breakfast or vice versa).

And really beans in a dessert is not too far-fetched. There are a lot of recipes out there that include the protein-rich items in healthy desserts. I even have one here... Strawberry + Date Chickpea Blondies (tastes like strawberry shortcake).

If you've been reading this blog, you know I love chia seeds. They are a great source of omegas (as is the avocado in the vanilla pudding) and a complete protein. They are also the force behind the chocolate omega pudding layer.
The chocolate layer needs at least fifteen minutes to set. It will thicken over time. I suggest making it the night before and then layering it in the morning but fifteen minutes is really all you need. Do not make the green vanilla pudding until you are about to eat it. It can easily start to brown.

Chocolate Omega Pudding Layer
1 c coconut milk* (see notes below)
3 T chia seeds
4 T cacao powder**
Sweetener of choice to taste - agave, raw honey, stevia

Green Living Vanilla Pudding
1 banana, chopped roughly
1 avocado, chopped
1/3 of a vanilla bean
1/4 c sprouted mung beans (see below for how to sprout your own)
Juice of half lemon



1. For the chocolate layer, combine all ingredients. Whisk everything to incorporate. Let sit at least fifteen minutes or overnight in fridge.
2. For green living vanilla layer, process mung beans in food processor (I used my Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender With Whisk & Chopper Attachments (HB-154PC) ). Slice vanilla bean down center and scrape out seeds. Add seeds and remaining ingredients. Process until  smooth.
3. Layer the two puddings in wine glasses or pretty dishes so you can admire the layers. Enjoy!
*Store-bought is not raw but the rest of the ingredients still will be. Of course, you can make your own with this recipe. Or you can subsitute almond, seed, or rice milk.
** You can substitute cocoa powder if you like. Won't be legitimately raw but I won't tell anyone.

I made this for my sister the morning after she came home from living in Spain for a year. We giggled over the randomness of my recipe.
"Why hello sister, I've missed you. Here's your living raw parfait. Welcome back to the United States of America, land of the red, white and blue plus living raw greens."

I've been unable to find if the author Heather Corbett has a blog or has just published ebooks. I've googled her name and nothing came up. I wish she had a blog! Here are her books available on kindle. They range between $0-$3 per copy and are a great investment if you are interested in healing raw foods.

Some notes about sprouting mung beans - Soak, rinsed mung beans in warm water in glass jar with cheesecloth covered top (or a Easy Sprout Sprouter - 1 set,(Easy Sprout) ) for twelve hours. Drain well. Let sit for another 8-12 hours at least then stick in fridge. If you let them sprout for more than two days before using, they will grow tails and not grind smoothly in the food processor. This creates a grittier texture (you can also pop those tails off)

This recipe is shared on Allergy Free Wednesdays and Wellness Weekends, and Lifeologia.

Question of the Day: What kindle cookbook have you enjoyed? Do you like reading cookbooks on your kindle?

So far. this is the best cookbook I've enjoyed on my kindle. However, I love pictures! I struggle with the black and white, tiny images. If you get a chance, enjoy this book on your computer as well. Then you'll want to make even more recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful parfaits and as usual I'm blown away with your beautiful photos ;)
    Wish I could just eat that up straight from the screen ;)
    xoxo
    Thanks for sharing them at the last potluck party ;) xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...