Friday, July 20, 2012

Green Apple and Radish Slaw with Red Currant Compote

When we lived in Oklahoma for two years, we loved this great little restuarant in Edmond called 501 cafe. I'm not a big slaw fan but theirs really struck me. It was served with their cheese platter (when I ate dairy) along with a side of red currant compote, crusty bread, and caramelized pecans.


I loved the flavors of the slaw mixed with the pecans and tart yet sweet currants. I craved this slaw when I was pregnant and tried to recreate the flavors. This is my version of their slaw and completely my own recipe.

This vegetables can be cut into matchsticks or sliced thin for even prettier presentation (as featured above). Also vegans can substitute agave for the honey or maples syrup and if you are a raw foodie, you can skip cooking the red currant compote and just blend in a small blender.

Red currants are in season now but you can always make extra compote and freeze it to use later. Layed out on a large platter, this would be a beautiful holiday dish.

Thank you Mom for the delicious currants from your garden!

This has been shared on Fresh Food Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Wellness Weekends, and Lifeologia.

Ingredients
Bunch of Radishes
2 Green Apples (mini if possible)
1 Pink Lady Apple
Juice of lemon half

Dressing
1/4 Olive Oil
2 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Honey
Juice of Lemon half

Red Currant Compote
1 c red currants
1 T chia seeds
2 T honey
1-3 T water
Pecans, for topping.

1. To prepare the red currant compote, fill a small saucepan with ingredients. Smash red currants against sides with spoon. (Skip cooking and blend if you prefer raw). Set aside and let thicken.
2. Prepare dressing, mixing all ingredients. Set aside.
3. Toast pecans in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant, stirring constantly.
4. To Prepare Slaw:
Fill a non-reactive bowl with water and lemon juice. Slice the apples very thin (or in matchsticks) and place in lemon water. Slice the radishes and place in lemon water as well. (You can refridgerate and drink this water as a very interesting pick me up)
5. Layer the slaw (or toss if cut into matchsticks), alternating radishes and apples. Sprinkle with crumbled pecans and top with dressing. Serve the red currant compote on the side. (Alternatively you can blend it with the dressing if preferred).

ENJOY!

Also, if you have two minutes I would really appreciate a nomination on Top 100 Mom Food Blogs. Thank you and I hope you enjoy your weekend.

12 comments:

  1. How adorably cute this is!!!! It's pure joy on a plate! ;)
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ella!
      I just actually entered this into your Potluck Party!

      Delete
  2. I'm always looking for new ways to use radishes since I'm not a fan of them on their own. . . love this idea. Thanks so much for linking up to Wellness Weekend this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been much of a fan of them either but I've a newfound hunger for them! And I love how they combine with the tart green apples and sweet red currants.
      Thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  3. I love this recipe! I'll be picking red currants from my Mother's garden next week, this is a great way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad looks so cute and yummy! Pinning it! We love radishes but all we do with them is throw them in a garden salad so I look forward to trying this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh i'm always needing new ways to prepare radishes. i usually just chuck em in an egg scramble or roast them like potatoes. this is friggin beautiful and would be lovely as a starter to my next dinner party! Pinning!

    thank you for visiting and sharing your seasonal post with us at The Fresh Foods Blog Hop - I hope you'll stop by again this Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting!
      I admit I've never tried them roasted or in scrambled eggs. Trying both these this week! Thanks for the ideas.

      Delete
  6. Marylicious is all I have to say! :) Oh, and I likey the gold utensils! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty to look at, and I can imagine it would taste wonderful as well.
    I'm hosting a weekly link up over summer specifically for salads of all types, every Sunday! I would love you to come and post this recipe. Just stop by my blog on Sunday - the link will be up!
    www.easynaturalfood.com

    I hope to see you there:)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Thank you for informing me of your blog linky!
      I love getting to know others on the blogosphere and will definitely drop by.

      Delete
  8. Fitness is one of the health key to be excellent. To make it happen.
    healthcare

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...