Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chamomile Cantaloupe Smoothie

I've been making a version of this smoothie sinced I still lived in my father's house and went to college, so over five years. It's one of my absolute favorite drinks of all times. The combination of chamomile and cantaloupe goes so well together. I love the apple and floral hints from the chamomile combined with the sweetness of the cantaloupe.

I went to two different places to get a cantaloupe because I had this smoothie on my mind. Unfortunately, it seemed everyone else was consumed with the idea of cantaloupe. I finally found an overly ripe one at a fruit stand which the lady gave me for free, claiming she couldn't sell it. I was thrilled! I did buy some summer squash from her as a thank you, to support her business.

The cantaloupe was perfect all around except for one little soft spot. I cut that out, chopped up the rest and stuck it in the fridge for the next day.

This is creamy, delicious and so absolutely yummy. Amaressa and I downed all this smoothie today and now I'm wishing for another cantaloupe. This is also great as popsicles or use canned coconut milk to make it into an ice cream. Also feel free to use coconut water instead of the milk to replace electrolytes naturally.

The chamomile was given to me by a great friend. I'm so glad to have some chamomile in my apothecary again!

For this recipe, I added white chia seeds. This does nothing for flavor but adds extra nutrients including Omega-3. You can feel free to add a tablespoon of flax meal or omit altogether.

Chamomile + Cantaloupe Smoothie
1 1/2 c non dairy milk (I used coconut but almond and rice work just as well)
3 c cantaloupe, chopped in large pieces
1 T chamomile flowers, dried*
1 T white chia seeds (optional)
Pinch of salt, to bring out the sweetness
Handful of ice

*If you happen to be lucky enough to have fresh chamomile, use 2 T fresh. See below where to buy chamomile flowers if you don't grow your own.

Blend it all together and enjoy! Or freeze in popsicle sticks or ice cream machine. Look how creamy it turns out to be...




You can buy chamomile flowers from Mountain Rose Herbs or amazon or your local health food store. Below is a link for organic chamomile sold on amazon.

This is shared on Lifeologia, Allergy Friendly Friday, ...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty! Can I use the chamomile from a tea bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can most certainly try! Although check to make sure there aren't any other additives or flavors added.
      Let me know how it works out for you!

      Delete
  2. It came out great, there's definitely going to be alot more of these! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very happy to see this when you linked up at the last Potluck Party...
    It was one of those weeks... that I didn't get a chance to say hello...
    Well, Hello! ;)
    I'm in love with your drink recipe here and your blog and your photography.... and you! ;)
    So very happy to 'meet' you!
    Sending big hugs!
    Ella

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...